Monday 21 July 2008

Ngarang ngena leka jako senimbal...i.e Alliteration?






















Have you paid a closer look at Iban literature? Most of them use a lot of alliteration , i.e. saying things using words that sound alike. And this is common in almost every language I know. In Iban for instance,

Gempanang raja Janang
Ke tau keramat besai
Atong along raja Mikai!

Well I just composed something 'mapap', but you can see that what I am trying to tell the audience is - about this so-called king and his great attribute, and I could have written it in one sentence with a lot less words but I chose to say it lavishly and using many words that rhyme!

Just a thought!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Guday Alex

How are you doing? Frankly, have no idea what those iban words mean, but interested to know. Kasi la subtitle.

anyway, are you in uk now? apa bikin?

Guday said...

Hi Azizul,

I will do the 'sub-title' once I have more time, yes, I am in UK at the moment. Thanks for dropping by!